You are an expert in data science and machine learning (ML) and interested in building intelligent space systems to modernize satellites' operations. You will be our lead ML engineer, performing ML model development, integrating new research, and deploying ML models to production. You have professional experience deploying and monitoring ML models in production environments, and stay updated with the field's latest developments. You must be comfortable taking ideas from theory into deployment. You will also,
- Grow and lead a team of data scientists and ML engineers.
- Develop strategies and work plans to implement ML and data science capabilities.
- Break down business objectives and designing models that help to achieve them, along with metrics to track their progress.
- Explore and visualize aerospace data to perform feature engineering.
- Develop ML and reinforcement learning (RL) algorithms for satellite mission planning optimizations and other aerospace applications.
- Deploy ML models to production continuously to support a disparate customer base.
- Version ML models per use-case and customer, and track baseline performance metrics.
- Manage hardware resources for production and development environments.
- Monitor production ML models, analyze performance, and design strategies to overcome errors.
- Collaborate with aerospace domain experts, and software developers to understand customer needs, and produce excellent products.
Traits We Look For
- US Citizenship required.
- 4+ years of proven professional experience as a Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, Applied Scientist, or similar role.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s degree, or Ph.D. in a relevant field: Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computational Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, etc.
- Proficiency with a deep learning and reinforcement learning framework, such as TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, or similar.
- Comprehensive knowledge of numerical methods, probability, statistics, and deep learning principles to extend existing ML libraries and frameworks.
- Proficiency with Python and ML libraries such as Numpy, SciKit-learn, and Pandas.
- Proficiency in Jupyter Notebook or similar for development, testing, and communicating results.
- Proficiency with Linux development environment.
- Familiarity with C++ and object-oriented design.
- Ability to communicate highly technical concepts to non-technical people.
- Ability to work in a team and work collaboratively on complex tasks.
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills.
This position is based in Houston TX. The work location is flexible if approved by the Company.
What We Can Offer
One of the most interesting aspects of working at a startup company is gaining equity in the company, which means our success is your success. In addition to equity in the form of options, we also offer:
- Unlimited Time-Off policy, company holidays, and company retreat
- Cost-effective health care, dental, and vision with company contributions.
- 401K plan
- Life insurance
- Short term and long-term disability
- Office Amenities (if working in Houston)
About Cognitive Space
Cognitive Space Mission
The number of satellites is expected to grow by 20 times during the next ten years. Just as the telephone required automation a hundred years ago when demand exploded, we will not be able to operate satellites the same way we do today. And so, our mission is to apply the latest technology to effectively orchestrate the evolution of space.
Every new member we bring on is crucial to our business. We are building a team of all-stars, from exceptional aerospace engineers to cloud computing architects to machine learning and data science wizards. We recruit teammates that set very high standards for themselves and are quick to offer innovative ideas.
Seek excellence, practice engagement, and build trust. These values guide us and enable us to be at the forefront of this fast-moving market and build a company we are proud to be a part of.
We Work Amongst
We offer our product to satellite operators and work closely with other aerospace industry partners to reach our vision of an orchestrated space domain. We work with the government (DoD and Civil) and the commercial sector.